Friday 17 August 2012

Hello Fresh


This month I tried out a new food delivery service called Hello Fresh! I found this company via an email from GlossyBox giving a 50% discount on my first box so I though why not!
The concept is that you get a box of fresh ingredients delivered to your door every Tuesday with the recipes included and each meal takes roughly 30mins or less to prepare and cook following the fool proof recipe cards included.
The costs vary depending on how many meals and how many people you are cooking for I went for the 3 meal box for two people which would normally cost £39 but I paid £19.50.
As promised my box arrived mid morning on Tuesday, I was impressed with the packaging, if you were out or it had to be left somewhere you wouldn't worry as its well packaged in lambs wool and ice packs!! 
Once opened everything I needed to make the meals was present and correct and the recipe cards are clear and easy to follow plus as a welcome gift I got a bar of Dark Chocolate.
I've now cooked all three recipes and produced three delicious meals that both I and the other half enjoyed.
Having finished the box I was in two minds about the concept.
I liked the fact that the ingredients were fresh and seemed of a good quality. I liked that there was no waste you use everything supplied and importantly I liked the recipes I recieved.
What I didn't like was that you have no choice over what you get other than you can choose between vegetarian and non vegetarian. This service will be of no use to someone with a food allergy and if you receive your box and you don't like the menu....tough!!
I'm not a fussy eater but there are things I'm not keen on and my other half doesn't eat Lamb so should any unwanted meals crop up its a waste of food and money.
I do think they should have some kind of user profile or system such as Graze where you can let the company know clearly what you can't or don't want to receive.
The other point is the price. £39 isn't outrageous for three meals lets be honest you would spend more than that if you went out, but at the same time I could easily pop to my local supermarket and buy three meals I know I'd like for the same price and be content that my family is going to eat what I'm cooking?!
That all said I did really enjoy my box, the recipes aren't what I normally cook and it was nice to have new ideas as I'm sure like many people I do get stuck in a rut making the same meals every week so it made for a refreshing change to try something new.
I was also lucky in that we all liked what was supplied so it meant it was excellent value for money.
All in all I'm not sure I'll continue with this service, however I think this would make a great gift to new parents or would suit someone who has no fussy eating habits and is up for trying something new! 
Check them out at www.hellofresh.co.uk if you fancy a try!



1 comment:

  1. Nice review! I completely agree with you, its too expensive and imagine you end up with food/recipes you wasn't keen on. A nice try though, xoxo.

    ReplyDelete